Monday, April 4, 2011

Forget me Knodt + City Provisions: it's supper time!


I recently moved to a new area of the city, and Mads and I have been doing lots of exploring on foot, checking out the local hangouts and such. And we have a new favorite! It's called City Provisions - a market / caterer / delicatessen that's all about being local, sustainable, and forward-thinking.

Everything in their store is locally sourced, from the bread to the meat to the booze. They even make their own deli meats! When I asked how one “makes” deli meat, the enthusiastic gentleman behind the counter gave me a brief lesson on meat curing. For example, they “pastrami” their own turkey and beef! Pastrami is now a verb. He told me it’s actually possible to pastrami just about anything, and then offered to pastrami my boot for me. (I respectfully declined).

They're good people, and I've become a daily visitor to the shop for Dark Matter coffee, hot doughnuts and whatever else strikes my fancy. One particularly fantastic thing they do is host monthly Supper Club farm dinners, meant to educate and enlighten folks by connecting them directly with the source of the foods they're enjoying. Many of these dinner events take place on-site at various local farms, and there's always a focus on pairing up with local breweries, distilleries and vineyards, as well. (Three Floyd's beer at Nichols Farm & Orchard? Yes please!)

Anyway, those who know me personally may imagine I am totally onboard with this whole idea. I love it! I love that people are doing it, and I love even more that so many people are participating! So, on one particular morning trip to City Provisions for coffee, I was able to set up a meeting with owner Cleetus Friedman, to see what Forget me Knodt could do to get involved.

Well, my dears, I am SO excited to announce that I've been granted the opportunity to get my flowers on display at the very next Supper Club coming up on April 11th, at the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum! It's a really unique event. Instead of hosting a sit-down dinner this time, City Provisions is teaming up with Madison's Death's Door Spirits to create a classy, one-of-a-kind cocktail party.

Guests will be treated to heavy seasonal, sustainable finger foods paired with orginal cocktail creations as they enjoy an evening stroll through the nature museum. The event will take guests from the wetlands marsh exhibit to the wilderness walk and everywhere in between, including the Butterfly House (!) and I've been given the fantastic opportunity to feature my flowers in each section of the event! I can't really explain how excited I am!

You can find more information on this event, and even photos of previous events, here. If you're interested in attending the event, tickets are still available! Just call City Provisions at 773-293-2489 or e-mail supperclub@cityprovisions.com.

And check back here for updates and photos. Fortunately for this little florist, as is the case with every City Provisions Supper Club, the details of this evening will be captured by wildly talented local photographer Christina Noël.

Thanks so much for the opportunity, City Provisions! I can't wait to get designing!

2 comments:

  1. Hi- does this store have a physical address on a street in a city. It doesn't seem to appear anywhere on the blog on the website, but I could be missing something obvious. I get that it is Chicago....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sally! I actually don't have a physical storefront -- I do flowers for events only. Generally I'll meet with clients at a location that's convenient for them, and we go from there! At this time I'm not equipped to design single arrangements for delivery. But if you have an event you want to discuss, feel free to give me a call or email me!

    ReplyDelete